Monday, February 28, 2011

Stairway to heaven

(Led Zeppelin, 1971)



The last time I mentioned plans, it was to explain the three options for the back kitchen. I don’t think I ever said which option we went for (I know, the suspense).


So without further ado, I present you the new plans showing what it will become. We went for the solution of putting a staircase in the kitchen, which leads directly to the garden.
It’s easiest to see from the side-cut through the kitchen.

Notice the light thing going on – I have to point out that the colours which are rather amateurishly added in are all mine. See the great big windows at the back? and the big window that straddles the landing? And the floor-to-ceiling library in the middle room? We are rather pleased with it all.





Then from the top you have the upper ground/ kitchen level - here you can see the stairs that would take you to the garden (and to the floor below):


And from the back, lots of window:



What this does mean is farewell to the lovely old wooden staircase that leads down to the cellar from the hallway. Lovely because it is original, has not been painted or spoilt, and is aged by a patina which makes the bannister feel right just right to hold on to, and makes you wonder about all those people who have gone up and down those stairs in the last hundred years.
But I have been persuaded that it will be surplus to requirements. Rationally they're right. Three staircases to the lower ground is a little excessive (and doesn’t at all help with the whole energy efficiency thing). But seeing as it is rather lovely, I’ll see if I can find it a new home. Any takers out there? maybe ebay worth a try?
Failing that, it will have to go the great staircase in the sky. Sniff.

No comments: